SEEDS: The OARDC Research Enhancement Competitive Grants Program is funded by appropriations made to the Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center (OARDC) of The Ohio State University. The goal of the SEEDS is to foster research excellence among OARDC-supported scientists and faculty in the College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences.
SEEDS began in 1996 with $250,000 and one competition. Since then it has expanded to include 7 competitions and is funded with $1.2 million. These competitions address several different objectives. These objectives are to:
- Enhance and encourage creative and innovative research.
- Increase the competitiveness of scientists in extramural grant programs.
- Encourage partnerships with private industry and other stakeholders.
- Encourage the development of interdisciplinary teams.
- Encourage international collaboration.
- Provide undergraduate students with research experiences.
- Provide graduate students with the opportunity to take part in the grant writing and review process.